[lit-ideas] Re: Calling all grammar mavens...

  • From: "William Dolphin" <dolphinw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 13:04:49 -0500

Judy's suggestion is the easiest fix, but it relies on casting a description
as part of a name -- a less-than-felicitous way to go, though a
common-enough contemporary occurrence (e.g. 'Joe the Plumber'). In that
case, I think you'd want to capitalize 'weatherman' to indicate as much, so
it would be 'Phil the Weatherman'.

Still, this is not a solution that pleases the editor in me, and it risks a
political allusion that may distract from you meaning.

What I would suggest is having the weatherman sentence conform more to the
structure of the groundhog sentence that precedes it (introductory modifying
prepositional clause), thus avoiding the awkward possessive that is the root
of your problem, as well as the passive voice, and creating a more parallel
structure for your comparison.

So it could be more along the lines of: "When Phil, the weatherman, sees his
shadow, he confronts/encounters/realizes/projects his importance...."

Also, you don't want to capitalize "groundhog" in the appositive usage, as
that is more descriptive than nominal (c.f. 'Phil the Weatherman').

-Wm. Dolphin
who has never considered himself a grammar maven but has nevertheless
obviously spent too much of his life concerned with the minutiae of editing
decisions