[lit-ideas] Re: Bum literature

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 16:40:16 -0500

Of course in poetry the field is much richer.  Almost all of the beat poetry
of the 50's and 60's is a kind of spiritual exaltation of bummery as well as
the whole hippie thing through the middle 60's and 70's.  Most often those
apostles of poverty were upper/middle class Ivy-league converts, and often
only temporary devotees, but devotees nonetheless.  Santayana (?) says that
the impulse to return to nature is a disease of civilzation.  An aphorism I
can appreciate -- there is no simpler age I'd like to return to, at the same
time the America dream screams nightmare to me.  But maybe I'm just spoiled
by lack of toil.

Mike Geary
Middleboro, MA
or thereabouts