[lit-ideas] Re: Bombshells

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:06:47 -0700

On Jul 19, 2012, at 4:23 PM, Robert Paul wrote:
>  What to call a split Atome, one that might be worn by "bombshells"?  Name it
> after the atoll where the French were exploding bombs.'
>
> Not really. The French tested bombs elsewhere in the Pacific, but never on
> Bikini atoll, which was, as far as I can determine, subjected to benign
> destruction only by the US.

Mea culpa.

I can add that America's first tests were July 1 and July 25.  The bikini was
first worn in public at the Piscine Molitor, by Micheline Bernardini, on July
5.  The garment's designer, Louis Réard, a Renault engineer running his
mother's shop, had a nose for publicity.

Here's what it looked like:
http://autouniversum.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/louis-reard-never-to-be-forgotten-renault/

David Ritchie,
Portland,