[lit-ideas] Blacks in prison

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:54:54 -0700

Lawrence quotes Christinna Corbin on Reverend Wright's pronouncements:

“Fact number one: We’ve got more black men in prison than there are in college.

I can see why someone would say this. It may be a careless reading of census data or it may be deliberate fudging; I see it as the former—it doesn't seem like a dangerous whacko remark to me. Lawrence doesn't challenge it on any grounds; he may have thought it was so obviously false as to go without saying. Hard to tell.

What the census data show is that there are more blacks living in prison than there are blacks living in college dormitories. When students who commute or live off campus but nearby are counted it turns out that there are more black students than black prisoners in the US. This doesn't seem to me to be cause for celebration.

Blacks still make up a disproportionate number of the US prison population.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm

The distinction between blacks in college and blacks in college dorms is made at (and elsewhere)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3657852

Robert Paul