[lit-ideas] Big Fish

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 09:07:03 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

We saw the movie Big Fish on Saturday.  I couldn't make heads or tails of it.
It didn't get a rise out of me, and it didn't work intellectually or
cinematically either.   In the beginning I was hopeful it was "inspired" by
James Joyce's Ulysses (Edward *Bloom*, wandering salesman, cyclops, father/son
theme), but none of it panned out as far as I could see.  Even the music was
trite.  I liked Tim Burton's other movies for their originality, but this was a
real dog.  Could it have been faked?

Seriously, has anyone seen the movie and have any ideas on where Burton was
going with it?

Andy