[lit-ideas] Re: Better late than never

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:54:37 -0800

Irene:  you ought to read this article.  It's very good.  It follows
logically from the Christopher Hitchens article I posted a few days ago.
The Sunni Insurgents were shooting at Al Quaeda in the Hitchens' article.
In the one you post, dialogue between the U.S. and the Iraqi Sunni
insurgents is in progress.  That's good news.

Here is what you wrote in your previous note: To much of the world, we are a
rogue state.  We started an offensive war for no reason and that we now have
to finish.  Never mind Lawrence.  I'll bet you're a card carrying member of
the NRA too.  BTW, there's an article in Newsweek that we are covertly (not
so covertly I guess if Newsweek knows about it) negotiating with the
insurgents in Iraq.  We're using diplomacy, only a bit late.  If I can find
the link, I'll send it.

The Newsweek article does not support what you wrote.   The offensive
against Saddam Hussein and subsequently against the Islamists in Iraq seems
to be (as your article suggests) even more successful than I thought.

Lawrence

  _____