[lit-ideas] Ballooney

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:08:12 EDT

Can someone explain to me the meaning of 'influence' here?

"The Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden says they now have evidence that
the balloon incident was just a “hoax” and a “publicity stunt” to promote
a  reality show. Now Richard and Mayumi Heene are expected to be charged
with  delinquency of a minor, and possibly conspiracy, false reporting, and the
 attempt to influence a police officer."

Not knowing the context, I fail to see what such an attempt involved. It
sounds wicked and evil -- a bribe?

As Grice uses it, 'influence' is any doxastic-boulemaic operation instilled
 on a co-rational participant of a maximin zero-sum game of conversational
cooperation.

Is _that_ the sense?

Cheers,

JL