[lit-ideas] Re: BaPoCo: Donal's Poultry Contest

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:09:59 -0700

Mike
"Master Of All" is a poem by Robert Creely. I have a copy of his "Collected Poems. 1945 -- 1975". I don't have a clue as to what he's up to. His aesthetic escapes me. But then I used to shrug at the poems of John Ashbury. I kept going back to them to because he was so highly praised. I didn't see it -- until I suddenly did. Like Helen Keller's epiphany, I suddenly got it, Wonderful. This has been the case for me with more than one poet. Maybe the same will happen with Creely if I keep at it. Don't think I will though. Too much other stuff out there calling to me.

Donal

    Of these the second is the genuine article. This judgment is not
    based on poetic merit so much as knowing Mike's stuff over the
    years: the second - apart from the meglomaniac title - isn't his
    style at all, whereas the first uses some of his most recurrent
    tropes [e.g. the proto-Cartesian "But I do know that there is a
    me"], fixes on some form of physical contact with another, and
    gets in at least one "halleluiah". It is also has what experts
    might call 'Geary's well-sprung rhythms'. I am not sure I
    understand the POV of the second poem or what it is trying to say,
    or even whether it is wrong to think

I agreed with Donal and pretty much for the reasons he gives. But I think 'the genuine article' must have a narrow scope here, for outside this context it seems to be anything but. Creeley's is just a bad poem---careless, offhand, and portending nothing. I mean, hell, if I knew I could get this sort of thing published regularly only a sense of shame (or do I mean pride?) would have stopped me from burying editors under a flood of, a flood of..., well stuff like this. There's nothing in 'Master of All,' that comes close to Mike's phrase, 'the specificity of you.' To give one clear example.

Robert Paul

        THIS
        Specificity.
        This blade of grass.  None other.
        The thisness of this is all that matters.
        Else is oneness or noneness.
        How long does a moment persist?
        Has moment a meaning?
        One ten thousandth of one sextillionth of a second?
        There are no moments unless the universe
        Goes in and out of existence
        with every quingilltilllenth of quanta of beingness.
        So, is there specificity or not?
        If I could perceive quickly enough
        could I safely say:
        "Now it is, now it isn't. Now it is, now it isn't."
        I don't know.
        But I do know that there is a me
        who
        when I touch you,
        specifically,
        there is no doubt --
        only the halleluiah of my body and soul.
        I have no need for beliefs,
        just the specificity of you.
        MASTER OF ALL
        Master of all things,