[lit-ideas] Re: As Far As I Know (Not Far) [Not even that far]

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:12:13 +0100 (BST)

Anyone who thinks the sense of "As far as I know..." in standard English usage
is "ironic" [or paradoxical], does not understand the sense of the phrase in
standard English where it is used unironically and with no sense of
paradoxicality.

Only a philosopher hell-bent on imposing their stipulated sense of 'know' on
the community of speakers of English, might mistakenly detect some "irony" or
"paradoxicality" in such an expression. But then isn't this the way? The
philosopher begins by appealing to the sense of standard usage and ends up
stipulating a sense to standard usage different to its actual sense....as far
as I know anyway.

Donal