[lit-ideas] Another apology concerning recent papal remarks

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:20:20 +0200

Since we are on the subject of apologies (and lack thereof) related to remarks made by the pope on his recent visit to Bavaria, here is an 'apology' from me addressed specifically to Benedict XVI (and even more specifically, to the person, Joseph Ratzinger - the man 'behind' all of that paraphernalia of authority) in response to one of his recent comments about me and my colleagues:

I am truly sorry that we have not been able to find a way to express ourselves so that you will take our arguments seriously; so that in response to our skepticism - i.e., reasoned inquiry - with regards to the soundness or validity of arguments in support of your religious dogma, rather than giving reasoned counter-arguments, you merely pronounce 'ad hominem' condemnation of any 'inquirer' as someone who is 'deaf - through fear - to God'.

I would like to assure you that *I can hear quite clearly*, thank you. Moreover, I have through the years listened most carefully not only to the 'Word of the Lord' (as spoken and written in the original Hebrew and Greek, as well as Latin, English, French and German translation), but also Christian apologists through the centuries right up to current pronouncements of 'our Holy Mother the Church', along with a good many of those of her 'brothers' and 'sisters' as well. And, although I was brought up with a very (un?)healthy 'fear of the Lord' by parents, teachers, and priests whose voices I am also in no danger of growing deaf to or forgetting (and to many of which I still listen, in spite of fundamental disagreement, with genuine love and respect), I assure you that it is not due to *fear* that I continue with my inquiry into what has been whispered, pleaded, argued, preached, proclaimed or shouted into my ear. (Perhaps on *this* point it is presumptuous for me to speak of myself - I will openly acknowledge to be in some circumstances very 'cowardly' indeed. But I will here not hesitate to proclaim the courage of a great many of my colleagues and teachers, who have maintained their faith in inquiry in the face of persecution to the point of paying the ultimate price: 'greater courage - to say nothing of love - hath no man …'.)

On the other hand, dear Joseph, could it be possible that I have a right to be somewhat concerned about *your* hearing? For you continue to *make assertions* on such topics as 'faith and reason' which could only find support in arguments that have for some time now been seriously undermined (to put it politely) by critique such as - well, to state just one example that lies readily at hand - that found in 'Zur Kritik der reinen Religion' [On the Critique of Pure Religion] by Hans Allbert, one of your fellow countrymen and contemporaries. For similar reasons, I am also concerned about the hearing of those with whom you surround yourself, who, on the basis of a few of your pronouncements (no, not arguments, but *pronouncements*) on reason and religion, proclaim you as one of the 21st century's greatest intellectuals and leading philosophers. (The coincidence that these same people were recently heard loudly proclaiming John Paul II as 'one of history's great humanists' has led me to suspect that my problem with them lies not so much in the 'hearing ability' of one side or the other, as in fundamental disagreement about the meaning of certain key terms, or perhaps 'language use' itself!)

No, I assure you, I am not deaf. I have been listening *very carefully* - to *a great many voices*, arguing, whispering, pleading, preaching, proclaiming, chanting, shouting, screaming ….

And to the silence ….

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany