[lit-ideas] An Argentine Fish Called "Argy"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:15:26 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/2009 5:11:54 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/argy-bargy

:)

David  Ritchie,
enjoying the current argy-bargy in
----

Actually,  'argentine' is a silvery little fish, too. I think it was pretty
pretentious of  the Conquistadores to call the land "Argentina", the
Silvery -- the silvery  _what_? I rather have ElDorado, but it was soon
realised
that there was no  silver either on the Silvery River ("River Plate"), but
the name stuck, I  guess.

Cheers,

JL

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!