[lit-ideas] Re: Ambulance Chaser, my Philappa Foot

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:20:07 -0700

My first re-write attempt may be lost. Good. I think I see what Judy, in her usual minimalist manner, might be driving at. Aside for cleaning up the inelegance of the sentence structure, there may be no good way to re-write the question because the question is actually no more than a plea for reassurance: assure me that if I meet my obligations under the ADA, you really can do the job.

Making accommodations under the ADA can be very expensive. What the employer doesn't want to do is spend a lot of money and then have the employee realize, three weeks into the job, that he or she isn't quite up to the task. So the employer tries to come up with a question that says, "Before I commit to expenses, I'd like to know whether you really feel qualified to do this particular job, and what value I should put on those feelings."

The would-be employee, of course, wants work...and an even playing field.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon