[lit-ideas] Re: Amazing babies

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:28:49 -0700

On May 28, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Julie Krueger wrote:

Wait until you experience adolescence, Paul -- these days are EASY.  You can pick them up and put them where you want them.  And precious.  Adonai is not malevolent -- but capricious, I'll give you.

Julie Krueger
Having two daughters -- ages 13 & 15 --   don't even ask .....sometimes I think they are schizophrenic.  And sometimes they can be so sweet.....

Surely the last thing anyone experiencing difficulty wants to hear is that Monty Python Yorkshire thing--"you think this is bad...let me tell you about living in a hole in the road with cardboard for breakfast"?

My brother had a colic-y baby. Soothed it by taking it for rides in the car at some ungodly hour of the morning, or sitting it on the tumble drier. These are clearly not the first approaches one imagines. I was very grateful not to have to deal with this. But neither have I had to deal with difficult teenagers. Mine have been great. My kids--well one of them, actually--could, between age three and six, reduce a room full of adults to a quivering mass. I read nothing that said, "Well if you had a particularly rough toddler-hood, you may expect a wonderful teen-age." On the contrary, I thought, "If she's like that now, imagine what the teen years are going to be like."

My brother's kids have turned out to be very energetic, which results in outstanding sports careers.

Yes, the gods may seem whimsical or wanton, but there's a chance they have something good up their sleeves too. Courage. This too will pass.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon