[lit-ideas] Re: Alternative food sources

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:46:17 +0900

On 2004/08/30, at 12:39, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I think the vat-grown is too unnatural, too close to soylent green, too
> suspicious (how do I *know* what it is that I'm eating??).  It would
> certainly
> creep me out.  It's too close to the laboratory (neither the wild nor
> home) for me.

For an alternative view, I recall one of the characters in Bruce
Sterling's science fiction novel _Islands in the Net_, who refuses to
eat anything but chemically reconstituted petroleum. He argues that all
natural foods have evolved over millions of years to be poisonous to
predators--how could you possibly take the risk of eating that stuff.

John