[lit-ideas] Re: Alternative food sources

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:24:14 -0500

Donal:
> Didn't you see 'Roger and Me'? There was a lady who ran a rabbit farm and
> they were breeding like the proverbial. To earn her living she sold them,
> naturally. The roadside sign to the farm advertised her produce's
> versatility. - "Rabbits: Pets - or Food".

I did see 'Roger and Me'.  And I noticed the 'OR' in the lovely lady's sign.
'OR', as JL will be MORE than happy to tell you, is not an exclusive 'or' in
English unless specified, or unless the 'or' is a disjunctive conjunction of
opposites such as "life or death" (see JL's brilliant monograph "Polar
Opposites Or English As She's Spoken In Krakow",  available through the Yale
University Blog Library).   I contend that pet / food is an opposite.  A pet
is, by my definition, something one refuses to eat, such as children, cats,
dogs and telephones.  All the rest is fair game.

I'm glad to see Donal taking an interest in our sport once again.  Only last
night I started a Sunday Poem entitled: CHASING THE UNICORN AROUND THE
GARDEN.  My plan was a romp through Western Philosophy from Plato to Popper,
but after the third line, ignorance overtook me, alas and alack!  I  have no
doubt that my philosophico-poetical failure will disappoint -- if not
disillusion -- Mike Chase, in whose name I was writing the poem.  However,
I did manage to work in 'supervenience' and 'subvenience' in the first three
lines, for whatever that's worth.  It's just as well, I guess.  I got so
goddamn bored thinking about properties of mind and matter that I'm sure I
would have just quit anyway, or fatally embarrassed my friends..  I hope
Mike Chase will take my intentions as meaningful as any of my executions.

Mike Geary
the  black swan
of Memphis