[lit-ideas] Re: All Quiet on the

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:49:30 -0800

On Dec 14, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Lawrence Helm wrote:
What if I said that David Ritchie does not know that Indians are sneaking up on him this very minute? Would I not be implying that Indians were indeed sneaking up on him? Then if David stands at his front door with a sword in each hand for several hours and no Indians attack, would he not reproach me for speaking falsely? And would I not appear foolish if I insisted that my statement was accurate?

There are no Indians. The man you see coming up my front path is the husband of a friend. He's Lakota. She calls herself his "squaw." I thought that was one of the words which had dropped out of use. Certainly in Oregon places which once had "squaw" in the name have been re-named. But these two seem to think it's O.K. to use the word. Maybe only between themselves?

It takes all sorts.

And, sometimes, swords.

David Ritchie,
cherishing peace in