[lit-ideas] Re: A word from a founder...

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:20:02 -0330

I believe your memory serves you well, Robert. Denis was a professor of Russian
literature, if memory serves me, and David was, like A. Sharon, both loved and
hated, not always by the same people or by the same people at the same time. I
also remember George Trail for his wonderful sense of humor. And Howard
Hastings, who I hope is full prof somewhere by now. And then there was the
fellow who lived in a Westphalia VW van who had a solid grasp of Kant's moral
theory. I forget his name. The internationally renowned Kant scholar, Roger
Sullivan, would chime in occasionally. Remember the fellow who would post only
under the influence of a bottle of Chianti? He had a penchant for fixing
people's "little red wagon." I also recall we had a lot more women on board in
those days. I don't know what scared most of them away. Mike, Omar, Ursula,
Richard, Beatrix, Carol, and Erin may have more to add to this walk down memory
lane.

Cheers, Walter

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2014/01/14/english-professor-scans-landscape-upon-forced-retirement-essay