[lit-ideas] Re: A word from a founder...

  • From: Mike Geary <gearyservice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 15:17:10 -0600

I had just moved to Seattle when I discovered Phil-Lit.  It was an oasis of
intellectual life for me.  I'm not an intellectual as you all well know,
but I still like to throw in my two cents worth and sometimes I even think
about the topic at hand.  My lack of respect (?) or familiarity with the
mechanics of such discussions caused some huffy backlash from some on the
old Phil-Lit, but I have thickish skin.  I apologized for not genuflecting
before entering the pew and that seemed to mollify some folks. Still it
wasn't until Robert Paul sent a note off-list saying that he often enjoyed
my humor that kept me on board.  So y'all got him to blame.  Damn him!
 There I did it for you.  I ain't scared of him.  I remember with fondness
arguing with the two Larrys (Helm and Kramer).  LH has always tolerated the
error in my ways of thinking, but LK -- not so much.  And though it's
disagreement that makes the list interesting, still it's fun to find out
that you're not alone in the world.  I remember rather distinctly when
 JL first came on board.  I once addressed him by: "Say hey, Jorge,..."  He
wrote back off list asking me to please address him as Jorge Luis.  That
tickled me to no end.  I apologized and agreed.   Sorry again, JL.
 Jorge-Luis has been very amusing to me, but I seldom am able to follow his
argumentation -- logic is definitely not my strong suite and especially not
logic that looks more like calculus than language.  Like Walter, I too
regret the loss of female voices on the list.  As the poem I recently
posted ("Eve Thinking" by Lucille Clifton) suggests, women seem (to me at
least) to have a different -- more immediate (?) -- sense of the world than
men.  Whether that is due to biological or socio-cultural causes or is all
in my imagination, I don't know.  But I do miss their butting in now and
then.  There is not anyone who has contributed to the list(s) whom I have
disliked.  As would be expected, some have seemed closer to my particular
mind frame than others, but perhaps I have learned more from those others.
 I have taken much pleasure from the list and some learning.  I thank
everyone for participating and sharing their perspectives on life in all
it's aspects and I hope I haven't offended too many.  I wish I could thank
each one individually, but I know I'd leave some off due to my spotty mind
and though no one would probably give a rat's ass, I would.  And besides
this is a venue for thought and debate, not socializing.
Yeah.  Enough!  Basta!  Zut!

Memphis Mike