[lit-ideas] Re: A serious inquiry: a right to misconstrue?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:30:38 -0230

Quoting Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

snip
> Everyone has a right to their opinion, and a right to
> misconstrue the opinions of others. It's the lit-ideas way.

That "right" is found neither in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms,
nor in the US constitution, nor in the UK whatever it is that they have. Nor in
any other human rights document I know of. Is the "lit-ideas way" not confirmed
in any constitutional/moral document known to personkind? Such a "right,"
btw,would appear to be self-contradictory, and, hence, morally impermissible.
As such, it could not be coherently legislated by any rationally autonomous
person/citizen of a Republic of Ends.

Walter O.
Memorial U.