[lit-ideas] Re: A hawk circles Duffy unaware, 3-22-11

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas " <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:16:24 -0700

On the other hand, the equipment I have really isn't going to do a
first-rate job on a flying hawk, even if he is circling slowly.  I do have a
faster camera with Image Stabilization, and a do have a lens that would get
me up to 180mm (as opposed to the E-1 that does not have image stabilization
and a lens that went up to only 55mm), but I didn't want to imply that I had
the equipment that could adequately catch a bird in flight, merely that I
might be able to do a little better.

This is important in the photographic world.  If you can catch a bird in
flight and have your photo show the wings in as good detail as the bird's
body, then your equipment is praised as being the very best.  While that was
never a strong temptation for me, I did try when the occasion presented
itself to see what my equipment would do.  I might be able to do a good job
on a bee, but not on a bird.

The sort of photography that intrigues me at the moment is exemplified by
photo number 3 on "Last day of Winter, 3-19-11."  The small format of the
blog doesn't do it justice.  In looking at it in the larger format of my
computer screen, the scene is dark, but Ginger is illuminated in the center,
her face slightly out of focus but seen well enough to indicate purpose and
movement.  I look at all the photos many times, but only certain ones stay
in my mind.  This is one of them.  I don't think I could ever get a flying
bird to stay in my mind - at least not as an example of good photography.

Lawrence

From: Lawrence Helm

It had bright red wings.  Are they territorial?  Seems like I've seen hawks
near the same place when I walked the dogs in the neighborhood, but the
previous hawks I saw were much smaller and less colorful.  The next time I
go that way I'll take a different lens & maybe a different camera.  But it
may have been as low as it was because of Duffy, perhaps out of curiosity.
So if it sees us again it may not be so curious.

From:  Eric Yost

Probably a red-tailed hawk or broad-winged hawk. It's difficult to tell from
the photo. Hawks kettle, i.e., circle on thermals, and the word "kettle" may
refer to the activity or to the collection of hawks circling.

From:  Lawrence Helm

http://www.lawrencehelm.com/2011/03/hawk-circles-duffy-unaware-3-22-11.html

Lawrence

  _____