[lit-ideas] Re: A hawk circles Duffy unaware, 3-22-11

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 18:03:37 -0700

Susan says she would give her life for Duffy, and I believe her; so could I
do any less when he is in my care?  Actually I don't think in quite such
sacrificial terms.  I think more in terms of "risk" than "sacrifice."
However large this red-tailed hawk might be, and though I normally love all
creatures great and small, I would rush to Duffy's defense and with my
hand-honed hiking stick bat the hungry hawk back up into his tree.

Lawrence

From: Lawrence Helm

It had bright red wings.  Are they territorial?  Seems like I've seen hawks
near the same place when I walked the dogs in the neighborhood, but the
previous hawks I saw were much smaller and less colorful.  The next time I
go that way I'll take a different lens & maybe a different camera.  But it
may have been as low as it was because of Duffy, perhaps out of curiosity.
So if it sees us again it may not be so curious.

From:  Eric Yost

Probably a red-tailed hawk or broad-winged hawk. It's difficult to tell from
the photo. Hawks kettle, i.e., circle on thermals, and the word "kettle" may
refer to the activity or to the collection of hawks circling.

From:  Lawrence Helm

http://www.lawrencehelm.com/2011/03/hawk-circles-duffy-unaware-3-22-11.html

Lawrence

  _____