[lit-ideas] Re: A distant whistling

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 08:24:21 -0800

Thanks, John:

Susan has severe medical problems and has been very weak for several days,
to the point that this independent wife of mine even allowed me to fetch
things for her so she could stay in bed.  But then she hit her head on the
bathroom sink and again when she fell to the floor.  It was while worrying
whether I did the right thing by letting her sleep or whether I should have
tried to keep her awake because of possible concussion-side-effects that I
wrote the first poem in this recent sequence.

She told me when I was putting her to bed that she had just spent the worst
half-hour of her life, but a couple of days later didn't remember telling me
that.

Yesterday her church in Redlands was having a pre-Christmas service and a
young girl from church drove her to the service.  It had been a while since
she had been there and everyone came to where she was sitting.  One after
the other, they hugged her.  She said she felt like royalty.

It was while she was at church that I wrote "A distant whistling" but she
seemed much better after she got home.

The light of my life hasn't gone out, but I saw it flicker.

Lawrence