[lit-ideas] Re: A True American Hero

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, LIT-IDEAS <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:48:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jun 11, 2004 12:30 AM
To: LIT-IDEAS <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] A True American Hero

To those despairing over the adulations being heaped on Ronald Reagan's
Presidency, I offer as a palliative several Googled glimpses of a true
American Hero, Memphian Robert Hodges, better known as Prince Mongo, .

Enjoy,

A.A.  An interesting idea.  The American Hero.  Is there such a thing?
Throughout our 200 some year history we've had heros, from Paul Bunyan to Wyatt
Earp to Ronald Reagan to Tom Cruise.  During WWII we had the Captain America
comics.  In the 1960-70's we had Charlie Brown the Loser comics.  Later it was
the sensitive 90's man.  The hero with a thousand faces.  George Bush in a
flight suit?

Garry Wills in Negro President: Jefferson and the Slave Power makes the
comment, essentially, that as we accept the faults of those whom we deem
greater than life, we can begin to move out of mythology and into reality.  I
wonder, therefore, if by not having a hero per se if our society is not
mirroring an increasing maturity.  Perhaps reality TV reflects our turning
inwards for our heros?  Have we taken Charlie Brown, the comic strip where
nothing happens, and watch ourselves in 3-D Charlie Brown fashion, on
television?

To be continued ...

A True American Un-Hero,
Andy Amago