[lit-ideas] Re: A Modest Proposal

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 14:11:42 +0900

Me, too. But my perspective is a bit different. At 69 going on 70, I don't
expect to find definitive answers to my philosophical questions. People
have been chewing this fat for over two millennia, three or four if you
believe some Chinese or Hindu accounts, and agreement still remains
elusive. Modesty prevents me from thinking that I have found the TRUTH when
so many better minds have not. What bothers me about the list just now is
that it's always the same ideas, Grice or Popper or Kant or Wittgenstein in
various permutations with no change in the hardened positions from which
the usual suspects always begin. It's a lot more fun to go off and read
Graham Harman's *Prince of Networks *about Bruno Latour. May be something
to it, may be totally insane. But at least it's a change. Besides, it has
taken me back to Whitehead, and *Science in the Modern World *has played, I
now realise, a major role in how I see things.

Cheers,

John