[lit-ideas] Re: A Lebanese speaking for Israel

  • From: "Helen Wishart" <hwishart@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:04:47 -0400

Brigitte Gabriel (http://www.americancongressfortruth.com/brigittebio.html )
gave this speech at Duke in October 2004.  I wonder if she would see the
aerial bombing of civilians (children included) in the current war as so
different from the suicide bombers she (rightly) condemns. Dead is dead.
I wonder how she incorporates the casualties in the march of Democracy in
Iraq into her paid speechifying.

The article posted by Omar earlier today
(http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/HH01Aa02.html )
about the barbarity of aerial bombardment that technologically distances the
bomber from the effects of the bomb presented a definition of "barbarism" I
had not previously considered. It also got me thinking about the definition
of "state sponsored terrorism".

The assessment by Jan Egeland to the Security Council on the humanitarian
situation in the Middle East sums up the tragedy --
"My fear is that more violence, more missiles, more terror, and more
destruction creates more anger, more hatred, and more disillusioned youths,
and ultimately leads to less security throughout the region. Civilians on
all sides are the losers of this endless cycle of violence."  And "The
civilian death toll in Lebanon stands now at over 600, according to the
Minister of Health. The majority are women and children..... When there are
clearly more dead children than actual combatants, the conduct of
hostilities must be reviewed."
(http://ochaonline.un.org/webpage.asp?MenuID=10813&Page=2116 )

I can't find any heroes in this conflict or adequate justifications for the
atrocities committed by either side.  It's heartbreaking to watch and read
and I'm glad that I have drive back South and go back to work.