[lit-ideas] A Guard is not a Finger

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:45:11 EST

Keep your Guard Up, Don't Keep it Down

L Helm quotes from Luis Grynwald

_http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/07/america/LA-GEN-Interpol-Argentina-_

(http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/07/america/LA-GEN-Interpol-Argentina-)

"We've never let our guard down"

and asks:

>How do you Argentineans keep your guard up?

Hey, you are reading between the lines, and over-reading at that.

The man only said that he (majestic 'we') has never let his (majestic  'our')
guard down.

There is quite a difference from what you are ascribing him, to wit:

"I have (always?) keep my guard up.

I think this is a case for analysis along Geary's reading of Arist. Metaph.
and the graduality of terms. There is a whole scale between keep your 'guard'
(or pecker as Geary prefers) down, and keeping it up.

I don't want to sound vulgar, but this reminds me of Martial:

Stare iubes nostrus semper tipi, Lesbia, penem:
crede mihi, non est mentula quod digitus.

Translation, (Loeb, p. 370).

Stare iubes nostrus semper tibi, Lesbia, penem:

You bid my pecker (guard, etc.) to be always standing for you.

crede mihi, non est mentula quod digitus.

Believe me, one's pecker (guard, etc.) is not the same as one's  finger.

Cheers,

JL

J. L.  Speranza,
Buenos Aires, Argentina