[lit-ideas] How is the Argentinian economy?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:51:46 -0800

This appears to be an encounter in an airport.  An Argentinean tells an
Australian all about the Argentinean economy (from
http://englishconversations.org/2007/11/08/the-argentine-economy/ ):

Lawrence

Australian Guy: How is the Argentinian economy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_economy>  now, like there was a
crash a few years ago wasn't there?
Argentine Guy: The crash was in 2001 and after that I don't know if you
remember we had five presidents in three weeks.
Australian Guy: Wow!
Argentine Guy: And since then they all retired on full presidential salary.
Australian Guy: Wow!
Argentine Guy: (laughs) And since then it hasn't really recovered. Although
it depends. The private economy has actually really boomed because as a
result of the currency devaluing by three times, all our costs. if you are
exporting, labor costs are a lot cheaper and if you are exporting to the
dollar.
Australian Guy: Right.
Argentine Guy: For instance if you are in the farming economy we were doing
very well until last year and now they are beginning to have inflation and
so they are really hitting down on the private sector for instance I am a
cattle farmer and we can no longer export beef .
Australian Guy: Right.
Argentine Guy: The theory being if we don't export beef then there is going
to be more meat on the national market and so it is going to push the price
of beef down
Australian Guy: Right.
Argentine Guy: And it is going to help control inflation.
Australian Guy: Right.
Argentine Guy: And that is just one example of how they try and doctor the
numbers and not try and go to the root cause.
Australian Guy: Right!
Argentine Guy: And at the moment our president is in a huge corruption
scandal so it looks like his wife is going to take over.
Australian guy: Wow! Right. Argentina
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina>  was the richest country in South
America ten years ago.
Argentine Guy: Argentina was the richest country in the world after the
Second World War.
Australian Guy: After the second World War.
Argentine Guy: We are still the richest country in South America.
Australian Guy: Chile <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile>  is pretty strong
too.
Argentine Guy: (laughs)
Australian Guy: Not so much?
Argentine Guy: Chile; I think the statistic is Chile has a tenth of the
resources of Argentina and it is half as wealthy. I can't remember the exact
figures. Basically the Chileans are a hundred per cent Spanish and Indian in
origin and they work hard. The Chileans are what they call "the Swiss of
South America" because they work really hard. They are really really boring
people.
Australian Guy: (laughs) I know you have to catch a flight Where are you
flying to?
Argentine Guy: I am flying.I have got a twenty-seven hour flight and twelve
hours time difference. I am going to Malaysia
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/malaysia>  to South Africa
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_africa>  to Brazil.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil>
Australian Guy: Wow! Back home. Right. Have a safe trip.
Argentine Guy: Yeah. Thank you.