[list_indonesia] [ppiindia] Why We Should Practice Morality for Ourselves

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:27:53 +0100

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=60558&d=17&m=3&y=2005

Thursday, 17, March, 2005 (06, Safar, 1426)

      Why We Should Practice Morality for Ourselves
      Dr. Mohammed T. Al-Rasheed, comments@xxxxxxxxxxxx

      There is a grave injustice taking place in the country and, for once, the
government is actually innocent and cannot be blamed for it. Ever since the
government opened up Umrah visas for Muslims to come visit the Holy Places (a
good thing in itself) there has been the inevitable backlog of stragglers who
overstayed their original purpose and went into the labor market illegally.

      Like all other governments in the world, ours tries to find and deport
them. I don't think the success rate is more than 50 percent. This is normal
and expected as such things go. That still leaves quite a big number in the
country. Enter the Saudi citizen - left stage - full of morality, holier than
thou declarations, fangs and teeth unsheathed, and salivating at the prospect
of a free dinner.

      These stragglers have no rights to protect them nor can they call on the
authorities to help them since that would lead to their deportation. They are
hired by uncouth Saudis to do all sorts of jobs for pennies a day. Those
pennies are not paid for months at a time. When the amount becomes relatively
large or their performance declines, the Saudi would lead the police to his
hired hands and they are deported.

      The more sensitive Saudis, God bless their hearts, would give the workers
a chance at an escape by warning them to leave without much fuss or else. Those
exploiting this situation are Muslims; those being exploited are, by necessity,
Muslims since they are here to visit Makkah in the first place. I was told a
story of a man I know by name who hired twenty Egyptians to replant his leisure
farm. The men worked for three months digging and planting without the aid of
machines (something he refused to provide) and were told they would be paid
when they finished the job.

      When the arduous task was completed, the man was ecstatic to the point of
promising to hire a bus to take them the 60 kilometers to Makkah to perform
Umrah. When they got back, he told them, he would pay their wages and release
them.

      It all seemed good and even rather sanctified except that this man had a
nephew in the police department and he asked him to alert his friends manning
the checkpoint at the entrance to Makkah. The result was that all twenty
laborers were checked, found to be overstaying, and were taken for deportation.

      You can imagine their protestations. But I am sure you can also visualize
the stonedeaf ear that was hearing them. This is just one story among thousands
making the rounds in Jeddah. For all our talk about Muslim brotherhood, we
certainly manage to get away with some vile behavior. Is it any wonder that the
world hears us talk about our religion and not believe us? They see or hear us
practicing it, and that is the ultimate proof for any declaration.

      If we "practice" our morality for others, we lose. Religion and morality,
indeed any ethical system, is only valid if done when no one can see. Once it
becomes a show, the only classification that fits is called a farce.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;