[list_indonesia] [ppiindia] Susilo pledges to ease tension

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:47:13 +0100

http://thestaronline.com/news/story.asp?file=/2005/3/12/nation/10399379&sec=nation

The Star Online > News
Saturday March 12, 2005
Susilo pledges to ease tension

BY MERGAWATI ZULFAKAR
SEPANG: Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudyohono gave his personal pledge
to control the situation in his country in the light of tensions with Malaysia
over the issue of the maritime boundary in the Sulawesi Sea.

Susilo downplayed the hostile Indonesian media and public reaction to the
issue, including the burning of Malaysian flags when he told Foreign Minister
Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar that even his own picture had been burnt before.

"I went to see the President and he told me the relationship with Malaysia was
very important not only on a personal capacity but also as neighbours.

"He gave the assurance and confidence that everything is under control.
Indonesia will do everything necessary to ensure the situation is calm," Syed
Hamid told reporters on arrival from Jakarta at the KL International Airport
here.

He said Susilo had informed him that he would continue to be in touch with
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and wanted foreign ministers
and armed forces chiefs of both countries to do the same.

"I see the sincerity he has shown to ease the situation. He also said that he
went to the area in dispute to remind the Indonesian military patrolling the
area to always be alert to avoid unwanted incidents," he added.

Syed Hamid was in Jakarta to meet his counterpart Hassan Wirajuda on the
sidelines of the Asean-European Union foreign ministers meeting, over the
issue.He noted that during his interviews with the Indonesian media, one
reporter had asked whether he was afraid to be in Jakarta.

"I told him I was not afraid and I even went to a nasi padang restaurant. I
think only a small group in the print and electronic media is vocal and
responsible for creating the problem," he said.

To a question, Syed Hamid said the presence of warships in the area should not
be interpreted as a situation of conflict as it was "quite usual" for there to
be patrolling in areas of overlapping claims.

"The most important thing is we must be sure the rules of engagement do not
create a real situation of a possible shootout or any accident.

"At present the Indonesian ships are there, our ships are there. I don't think
it is a show of strength but each wants to protect its own territory," he said.

Asked whether exploration work would be allowed to proceed, Syed Hamid said
low-key technical activities should be allowed as long as they did not create
problems.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;