[list_indonesia] [ppiindia] Should Kuwait do more for women's rights?

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:20:15 +0100

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4325663.stm

Should Kuwait do more for women's rights?
Hundreds of protesters in Kuwait have held a women's rights protest outside the
country's all-male parliament.
The assembly is debating a government request to speed up the passage of a law
on women's rights, which was approved by the cabinet last May.

But most Islamic groups in Kuwait are against granting women political rights
and the parliament has twice defeated similar measures in recent years.

Should the Kuwaiti authorities do more to improve women's rights in the
country? Do you live in Kuwait and are you involved in the protests? Send us
your comments and experiences.

The following comments reflect the balance of views received.

I was part of the protest and was very impressed at how all the people were
there for one reason. It was a great experience to see everyone with one heart,
fighting against those religious misinterpereters that give our country a bad
image.
DJ, Kuwait

When interviewed after the defeat of Mr Bush Sr in the presidential elections
of 1992, Mrs Thatcher opined that Mr Bush was a great president who had brought
freedom and liberty to all Kuwaitis, after the first gulf war. Is it at all
possible women still have to fight for their rights in a staunch ally and
friend of the free world?
Mohansingh, India

     We can't expect the rest of the world's human rights laws to change at the
same pace as our own, that's simply arrogant
      Simon Graham, London, UK

Yes women deserve the vote but let's not forget that less than 100 years ago
women didn't have the vote in the UK. We can't expect the rest of the world's
human rights laws to change at the same pace as our own, that's simply
arrogant. Additionally, let Kuwait's political evolution happen naturally and
without Western influence. Otherwise we risk fuelling the extreme Islamic
clerics' calls for a jihad against the West.
Simon Graham, London, UK
Kuwaiti constitution guarantees equal rights to both sexes. That surely means
women have the right to vote. But they are prevented by the hardliners under
the pretext of Islam. The so-called restrictions imposed on women folk has
nothing to do with Islam, but are mostly attached to the tribal code. A little
courage and wisdom from the part of authorities can bring about necessary
changes in the electoral laws.
Hussain Chirathodi, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Mark, USA: Kuwaiti women (and women in all Arab countries) have been struggling
for equal rights for several years. This has nothing to do with Bush's ill
conceived invasion of Iraq.
Jo, USA

This is one more victory for President Bush and another defeat for his
opponents. The snowball has started rolling down the side of the mountain and
is getting bigger and faster. The reactionary forces of political and religious
tyranny are being swept away as Arab populations see that there is nothing
preventing them from taking control of their own destiny if they only have the
will.
Mark, USA

Kuwait's women are some of the best educated and well travelled anywhere in the
Arab world. They deserve nothing less than full political rights and equality
with their menfolk.
Suhail Shafi, USA

Women's rights are inextricably tied to human rights and democracy. Kuwait is
an absolute monarchy and the parliament lives at the sufferance of the royal
family. Citizenship is based on tribes, not birth. Many a time, in London and
elsewhere, women employees of Kuwaiti residents have been rescued from
near-slavery. Even if women gain voting rights and the country becomes a
constitutional monarchy, the majority of people would have no rights.
Thiruvengadam Ramakrishnan, New Orleans, Louisiana

Another misconception. Arabic culture and Islam. Muslim and Arab. Although to
many all four terms are interchangeable, they are not. The thin line between
what Islam requires and what Muslim people do is invisible to the majority of
people. There is no where in Islam where it states women must not vote and must
be oppressed. I come from an Arab and Muslim country that is only a few hours
drive from Kuwait and women are in no way prohibited from any type of vote.
Hameeda Alshabib, Bahrain

     I don't think there will be any kind of change in policy for a few woman
with banners
      Khadeja, Kuwait

As an expat Kuwaiti, I feel that a half-hearted 400 woman march won't do very
much for the cause of women's rights. There are thousands of women in this
country and I don't think there will be any kind of change in policy for a few
woman with banners. I passed the march and I didn't feel there was a very big
police presence, no more than any other kind of event. The police take security
very seriously here with all the terrorist threats and they never harassed the
woman in any way. More support is needed for there to be change here.
Khadeja, Kuwait

Granted, Kuwaiti women deserve the right to vote, however I think a more
pressing issue is ensuring the basic human rights to the two million-strong
population of working class house aides and manual labourers. Most of these
women organising the campaign are in fact wives of liberal wealthy husbands and
have nothing better to do with their time. I'm in favour of the voting, I just
think the motive is not completely honest. For a fact, they don't even have an
official representative or dialogue with the government.
Ali, Kuwait City

Having lived in Kuwait the single worry that enters my mind concerns how the
women will use this vote. In many Kuwaiti families the men have a large amount
of power, what would happen is that husbands and fathers would tell their wives
or daughters how to vote, thus destroying the political system.
TK, St Catherine's, Ontario

OK, so Kuwaiti women are getting rights, but what about the majority of the
population who are non-Kuwaitis? They are the most vulnerable population in the
Persian Gulf states and their rights need more than lip service.
Rasha, Doha, Qatar

     No country can claim to be a civilized, decent society if half of its
society remains unemancipated
      Stephen Cook, New Orleans, USA

While Kuwait has one of the best human rights records in the Arab world women
still cannot vote or hold office. No country can claim to be a civilized,
decent society if half of its society remains unemancipated.
Stephen Cook, New Orleans, USA

Interesting how women's rights issues in Muslim countries always manage to make
the headlines here. I wonder how much they hear about the UK's lack of equal
pay (still) and growing domestic violence?
C. Kubazdro, UK

During my four year stay in Kuwait 10 years ago I found Kuwaiti women to be in
much better shape socially than most Islamic countries, including my native
Pakistan. Kuwaiti women are educated and outnumber men in university education.
The women in Kuwait are very modern while keeping links to their Arab and
Islamic roots. Kuwait can become a pioneer in the Arab world for starting
democracy and giving women equal political and other human rights. Such a move
will break the back of religious extremists in the country.
Tahir Ahmed, Mississauga, Canada

Women deserve every right given to men. Traditions based on outdated
philosophies are a means of social control and dominance of an entire
population of females who have as much to offer as any man.
Ian Washburn, Bloomington, Indiana USA

     Kuwait must grant women more rights, including that of the vote
      Haresh Keswani, Tanzania

Having lived in Kuwait for five years, I know that Kuwaiti women are among the
most educated and advanced in the Arab world. Kuwait must grant women more
rights, including that of the vote. This would benefit Kuwait as a whole in
every sphere of socio-economic life. Tunisia can be a role model here amongst
Arab countries and if Kuwait does not do this now for whatever reasons, it will
need to do so in the near future. The writing is on the wall and Kuwaitis know
this.
Haresh Keswani, Tanzania
The West dropped the ball on this issue when they freed Kuwait from Iraq. We
should have insisted on democratisation and equal rights. Apparently, thoughts
of flowing oil clouded our view.
Dwayne Chastain, West Jefferson, Ohio

Living amongst Muslims I understand how the women of Kuwait are feeling,
however I very much doubt any drastic changes are going to take place in the
near future, because I know Arab culture and in that culture women simply are
seen to be less important than men. I think that slowly the situation will
change, but it is not something that will happen overnight. In some countries
such as Lebanon, women are gaining self-confidence and are becoming more and
more 'Western'. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of
opinion.
Eid Jadon, Jerusalem, Israel/Palestinian territories

One hundred years from Emmeline Pankhurst and Arab suffragettes are fighting
for rights which are natural in many corners of the globe for 100 years at
least. What are Kuwaiti men are afraid of? Neither tradition nor their rights
would be hurt by women's rights. For me - who grew up already equipped with
rights - it is far beyond what I can understand.
Mary McCannon, Budapest, Hungary

Muslim countries' records on human rights abuses are in general atrocious.
However with global integration and instant passage of information becoming the
norm they are having to change. Women's rights are mandatory for the
development of these countries so they had better get used to the fact and
reform.
Stan, UK

We are not speaking here about changing a simple law. We are speaking of a
cultural revolution in the Islamic world which will eventually lead to the
downfall of tyrannical governments who treat not only women as chattel, but
anyone who isn't in the ruling classes.
Jasmine, USA

The problem here is the 'all male' parliament, who may never agree to give
women their rights. All the women in Kuwait must stand together and absolutely
refuse to provide any services / support to men who don't support their rights.
Get organised and leave your homes, bring your children, and stand together in
a public place. Surround yourselves with the world's media and refuse to go
home until your rights are protected. You make up 50% of the population and
male society cannot function without you, so you must force them to realise
this.
Franchesca Mullin, Northern Ireland

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM