[list_indonesia] Re: [ppiindia] Fwd: America No. 1?

  • From: Nugroho Dewanto <ndewanto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:02:33 +0700

jadi benar judul album terbaru grup musik greenday:
american idiot! hehehe...

At 08:41 PM 3/29/05 -0800, you wrote:

>America No. 1?
>by Michael Ventura, Austin Chronicle
>
>02/03/05 "ICH" - No concept lies more firmly embedded in our national
>character than the notion that the USA is "No. 1," "the greatest." Our
>broadcast media are, in essence, continuous advertisements for the
>brand name "America Is No. 1." Any office seeker saying otherwise would
>be committing political suicide. In fact, anyone saying otherwise will
>be labeled "un-American." We're an "empire," ain't we? Sure we are. An
>empire without a manufacturing base. An empire that must borrow $2
>billion a day from its competitors in order to function. Yet the
>delusion is ineradicable. We're No. 1. Well...this is the country you
>really live in:
>
>The United States is 49th in the world in literacy (the New York Times,
>Dec. 12, 2004).
>
>The United States ranked 28th out of 40 countries in mathematical
>literacy (NYT, Dec. 12, 2004).
>
>Twenty percent of Americans think the sun orbits the earth. Seventeen
>percent believe the earth revolves around the sun once a day (The Week,
>Jan. 7, 2005).
>
>"The International Adult Literacy Survey...found that Americans with
>less than nine years of education 'score worse than virtually all of
>the other countries'" (Jeremy Rifkin's superbly documented book The
>European Dream: How Europe's Vision of the Future Is Quietly Eclipsing
>the American Dream, p.78).
>
>Our workers are so ignorant and lack so many basic skills that American
>businesses spend $30 billion a year on remedial training (NYT, Dec. 12,
>2004). No wonder they relocate elsewhere!
>
>"The European Union leads the U.S. in...the number of science and
>engineering graduates; public research and development (R&D)
>expenditures; and new capital raised" (The European Dream, p.70).
>
>"Europe surpassed the United States in the mid-1990s as the largest
>producer of scientific literature" (The European Dream, p.70).
>
>Nevertheless, Congress cut funds to the National Science Foundation.
>The agency will issue 1,000 fewer research grants this year (NYT, Dec.
>21, 2004).
>
>Foreign applications to U.S. grad schools declined 28 percent last
>year. Foreign student enrollment on all levels fell for the first time
>in three decades, but increased greatly in Europe and China. Last year
>Chinese grad-school graduates in the U.S. dropped 56 percent, Indians
>51 percent, South Koreans 28 percent (NYT, Dec. 21, 2004). We're not
>the place to be anymore.
>
>The World Health Organization "ranked the countries of the world in
>terms of overall health performance, and the U.S. [was]...37th." In the
>fairness of health care, we're 54th. "The irony is that the United
>States spends more per capita for health care than any other nation in
>the world" (The European Dream, pp.79-80). Pay more, get lots, lots
>less.

> [...]

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.org
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;