[Linux-Discussion] Re: startup....

  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:10:40 -0500

> > > does anyone know how to bypass the rc.local script at startup? Like
> > > holding down the shift key or something? I put a program in the rc.local
> > > but I forgot to put an '&' after it. :)
> >
> > Startup in single user mode. :)

> How do you do that?

At the lilo prompt, run 'linux single'

A security note: anything following the boot image at the lilo prompt is passed
as parameters to the kernel.  For example, passing 'single' boots the machine
into single-user mode (harmless on some distributions, but drops you to a
rootshell without authentication) on Redhat and 'init=/bin/bash' drops you
right into a root shell when init is called.  For production systems (at least),
extra config directives should be used in lilo.conf before lilo is installed.

Here's a run-down:
Use the 'password' parameter to require a password to boot a particular image.
If this is specified within an 'image' section, this will force a password
prompt after image selection.  Use of the 'password' parameter in the global
section with the 'restricted' keyword in the image section specifies that the
machine can't be booted with parameters unless the specified password is
provided.

I prefer the second method, in case a system needs to be rebooted remotely, and
no one's there to enter the password.  Either way you look at it, this thing is
an often-overlooked security consideration.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web: http://avenir.dhs.org