[Linux-Discussion] Re: another test =)

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 00:00:20 -0500

> > Heh, not all that much.  There are some QoS issues with it though, but
> > those are mostly political.  I do have a bone to pick with the ISP
> > over it though, as I'm not getting anywhere near 1.5mbps.
>
> For one thing, a T1 gets 1.2Mbps, and averages about $3,000/month in
> large cities.  Out here it runs as high as $7,000/month.  A 1.5Mbps SDSL
> would be about $600/month(going from memory).  T1's use a CSU/DSU for
> the link, SDSL uses a DSL modem.  They are very different technologies.
> Besides, if you signed up for 1.5Mbps SDSL, that's the "theoretical wire
> speed".  You're never going to get that speed to anyone, not even
> directly on the other side of the link.  You don't even get the
> theoretical wire speed on a T1, which, while MUCH more expensive, offers
> a higher QoS.

A normal T1 would've cost roughly $1,000/month here (Indianapolis), a
fractional for about half that.  Since FreeLists hasn't any revenue,
neither were really in the realm of financial possibility. :)

As for QoS, on a good DSL line, you'll get damn near the advertised speed.
 When this line was a 1.2mbit line (before @Link filed chap 11), I was
continuously getting roughly 1.1mbit.  Other than the standard TCP
overhead, it is, in my experience, possible to get quite good rates over
DSL.  Where DSL companies get you is they put you on shared lines
(somewhat like how cable companies do it, only you do have your own
network segment), and charge you for different QoS levels.  "Bronze," for
example, is "best effort," whereas "Platinum" would be "100% of line
speed."

> I still prefer a T1:)

Yeah, of course, same here.

John