[Linux-Discussion] Re: Win2K and Linux

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 04:40:14 -0700

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:49:12 -0500, S. Arif Khalid wrote:

> This message confuses me because, in Windows 2000, there is no option
> "Windows manages the virtual memory settings".  That is, under System
> Properties you MUST specify the "paging file size" (initial size and maximum
> size), explicitly.
>
> Thus, I'm concerned that trying to set up Linux (using the YaST2 application)
> while leaving a disk partition for Windows 2000 will mess up something.

I suspect the message is for Win98 users who have set a fixed size swap
space.  If you haven't played around with your swap space settings in
Win2K, it should be a problem.

I have a machine that had BeOS, Win98, Win2K and Linux on it in separate
partitions.  I used Partition Magic to delete the BeOS and Win98
partitions and gave the space to Win2K.  Then I installed RH 7.2.  After
that I basically had to run SYS.COM from a DOS boot disk so Win2K would
boot from GRUB. (Actually, it was much more difficult because the Win2K
was D: and it was now C:, but I figured out how to fix this without
needing to revert back to my Ghosted Win2K partition.)

        -Paul