[Linux-Discussion] Re: Win2K and Linux

  • From: "S. Arif Khalid" <arif@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:19:10 -0500

What about the "warning" to "Make sure that the swap file optimization in
Windows ... is disabled" ?

Does this mean that I should change the "Paging file size" (Under System
Properties/Advanced/Performance Options).  Currently it's set to Initial
size = 480 MB, Maximum size = 960 MB.  My laptop has 320 MB RAM.

Here's the note again from the Quick Install Manual:

Make sure that the swap file optimization in Windows (fixates the upper and
lower threshold of the swap file) is disabled.  Under Start/Settings/System
Controls/System/Performance Properties/Virtual Memory, the following option
must be selected: Windows manages the virtual memory settings (recommended).

One of your previously conducted swap file optimizations should be cancelled
(fixed upper and lower limits) or else this entire area will be distributed
over your entirre hard disk space.  [What the heck does this mean?]

Windows 9x/Me assigns its outsourcing file a special identifier.  Defrag, as
a rule, does not move such files because earlier copy protection mechanisms
from older applications depend on this identifier.  [Maybe this means that
the note is specifically about doing defrag before reducing the disk space
allocated to Windows.]

I'll ask support@xxxxxxxx about this as well.

Arif