[Linux-Discussion] Re: Linux should be able to do this... But how?

  • From: Lynn <landerso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:12:51 -0400

gaydec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I need a way to clean a hardrive off so that the data cannot be recovered.
> There is a windows based util that the DOD uses but you have to put the
> harddrive in another machine and it wipes the disk 7 layers deep.

Well, that's balderdash pure and simple.  Hard-disks do not have
"layers".  The way you prevent the possibility of data recovery is by
writing over top of where the old data used to be.

> Is
> there a linux boot disk out there that will do this.

Pull the machine up with a rescue disk, then run:
dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda1 bs=1M count=5000

Replace 5000 with the size of the partition in megabytes, hda1 with the
name of the partition.

> Next think that I need is a console based device manager for linux.
> Preferably something on a floppy distribution or somethiung like that.

Are you talking fdisk?