[Linux-Discussion] General LAN question

  • From: David Bruce Jr <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 05:47:19 -0400

Hi all,

so far all my lan setups have been peer to peer

I've used windoze ICS, and a hub with the 2 ip addresses
assigned from @home (at extra cost for the second ip)
and finally with a linksys configured as a dhcp server.

My lan has always been set up with the linksys sharing the
Internet connection and netbui sharing files between the lan boxes.

When I set up NT, or win2k or now with linux for a lan, I keep
seeing a choice of "do I want to use a domain or a workgroup"

How do I use a domain for a lan?

I have several domains hosted on web hosting accounts...
to use the domain, I also have to setup a dns for the domain to
resolve.

My questions are:

Can I use an ip address without a dns for an internal domain?
(that would mean the boxes would be shared via tcp/ip rather than
netbui...correct?)

Can I use a 192.168.xxx.xxx for an internal domain?

Must I have one of the boxes be a server to have the lan be on a
domain?

Does a peer to peer setup automatically mean the lan cannot use a domain?

Does having a peer to peer set up also mean I cannot have the
ability to have intranet email be able to send emails between boxes
on the lan?(meaning you can't have intranet mail without a mail server
running the lan?)

Many thanks
David Bruce Jr