[Linux-Anyway] Really Dumb Questions - procmailrc

  • From: storm <storm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux Anyway <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:26:14 -0600

K,.. please please bear with me, I'm totally new to this
procmail/spamassassin thing.

Irrelevant details are as follows:
mdk 9.2, a 2.4.x kernel
P2-350
272MB of ram
2 ide 4.3G harddrives
1 scsi 4.3G hd
24x CDRom
2 nics, only one in use currently.
Formerly a routing gateway, now a server living behind a hardware
firewall.

I have a few lines in my .procmailrc that I just don't get. See, I'm a
little leary, cos last time I tried this, I managed somehow to get all
of mail deleted.... not generally the desired behaviour. ;)

Assuming that the user is test and the home dir is /home/test ...

# Is this stuff relevant if my mail file is under /var/spool/mail?
# I think it is, but ....?
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

# self explanatory
# f*cking spammers subscribed to by a dumbass that doesn't know his own
# f*cking email address.
:0
* ^From.*bluebombers
/dev/null

# again self explanatory
:0
* ^From.*elug
/var/spool/mail/test

# what's the "b" for?
:0b
# identifies the thing we're testing for...
* .*name=.*\.(vbs|bat|com|exe|scr|pif|uue|zip)
# wtf is this? a folder where the suspect email will be stored?
# lives where? /home/test/Mail/possiblevirus ?? if I use evolution,
# or even squirrelmail, how do I see this, if my "regular" mail
# lives in /var/spool/mail/test?
possiblevirus

# I think this is right...
:0fw: spamassassin.lock
| usr/bin/spamc

# I -must- be reading this wrong, cos I see any message being less than
# ~200KB marked as spam and ?thrown into a folder named caughtspam in
the /home/test/Mail dir? Again with the squirrelmail/evolution question?
:0:
* < 200000
caughtspam

# Anything that has not been delivered by now will go to $DEFAULT
# using LOCKFILE=$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT