[Linux-Anyway] Re: BladeEnc -- It's been a while *

  • From: Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:24:27 -0800 (PST)

> My first attempt to be able to take my favourite music with me
> was a portable AKAI CD player. The problem is, the thing would
> suck 2 Alkaline cells empty in roughly 2 hours - I guess these
> companies producing high-end devices don't waste much thought
> on energy-efficiency. So being left with a portable device that
> is not practically portable, my primary requirement was: no
> moving parts.

   Oh, sure.  Battery life is still an issue with the lower-end
electronics.  One day I'd like to get one of the good ones which
are rechargable, have lots of memory, offer a port for a memory
stick, as well as usb thumb drives, etc.

> Probably newer devices are much better at this (and I guess
> that with the reduced bitrate the disc can spin slower). but it
> probably can't match a flash-based device.

   From what I've gathered, if you want something good, you still
have to pay a ~lot~ for one.  It sucks.  Mass production doesn't
necessarily mean affordable -- look at the difference in prices
between laptops & desktops.  Who are they fooling?  The
manufacturers make as many laptops as desktops, yet they want
more & more & more.

--
   Osborn's Law:
   Variables won't; constants aren't.