[Linux-Anyway] Re: BladeEnc -- It's been a while *

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:26:27 +0100

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:12:01 +0100
Godwin wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 02:15:32 +0100, Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I'd say just encode one tune with two different bitrates and listen.
> > You're the most qualified person to give a valid answer to this
> > question.
>
> You might also want to compare with Ogg Vorbis, which is far better
> quality at an equivalent bitrate IMO.
>
> If this is for use with your PC at home then I'd *strongly* urge you
> to dump the MP3 format with prejudice and go for Ogg Vorbis.
> Obviously, if this stuff is to be injected into a standalone MP3
> player then you don't have that option unless you come across such a
> device that plays .ogg files...

As far as I know, there's only one standalone device that can handle
.ogg (I don't remember which).

Apropos portable mp3 player: with a bit of money comming in with my new
job, I finally decided to get one - something I've wanted to have for
years. It seems to be quite nice - an USB-stick type of device, with
512MB, playlist support and an FM tuner for about 100 Eur, which seems
pretty much a bargain. The bad part is that I bought it online, and have
to wait 1-2 weeks for the delivery.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui