[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: proposal for a test harness

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:28:31 +0100

Hi

"Michael Whapples" <mwhapples@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I guess it comes back to a question put by Jamie from the NVDA team.
> Why not use SCons?

Well, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. The autotools
build system for liblouis* works quite well and has a lot of benefits.
Not all of these could be provided by Scons as far as I know. One of the
perceived down sides of autotools is the poor support for building on
windows. This is evident in the windows sudirectories which often
duplicate much of the rest of the Makefiles. However I'm not convinced
if this is needed at all. Bert from odt2braille seemed to manage to
build liblouis and liblouisxml on windows quite well.

What I'm saying is that a migration to Scons would have to support all
of the stuff that the autotools do, i.e. running the test suite,
building the documentation and the man pages, installation support,
integration of gnulib, etc.

Jetzt kostenlos eidgenoessische und kantonale Abstimmungsunterlagen aus 17
Kantonen
zum Hoeren auf CD abonnieren: medienverlag@xxxxxx