[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: getopt_long and help2man

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:00:11 +0200

Hi all

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 09:55 -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I would rather that liblouis did not use the getopt_long function, since
> it is not portable beyond Gnu systems. Samuel answered my question about
> mingw.  I'll see what the problem with help2man was again.

Don't worry about help2man as its use will be optional. As for
getopt_long I would like to use it as I'd rather not implement my own
cross platform  option parsing. I would like to see the following
strategy forward: There is the GNU Portability Library
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/) which is basically a collection of
code snippets that tie in with automake. So in the case of getopt there
are automake macros which test the capabilities of getopt.h and in the
case of a non-gnu or non-posix provide their own implementation of
getopt_long. This should have us covered for any Unix, Windows and Mac
and probably more. I got the idea when looking at the source code of GNU
hello :-).

I will try to set up the whole thing on a separate branch where it can
be tested and evaluated. If we decide that we like it we can merge it
back to the main branch.

Comments, ideas, objections?

Swiss Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired