[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: digit vs. litdigit

  • From: plundblad@xxxxxxxxxx (Peter Lundblad)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 15:05:37 -0800

Hi John,

That is the difference between digit and litdigt that I suspected
(although the description of digit in the manual doesn't actually
mention computer braille).

What I am seeing is the following, with the Swedish grade 1 table
(Se-Se-g1.utb)

1. If the table is used as-is, translating:
Test 123.
yields
_test #abc.
and back again yields:
T5st 123.

As you can see, forward translation works fine, but back translation
confuses the dots for the e for a five.  That's because there are
digit ...
lines in the table (before the definitions for the latin letters).  It seems
like\
the digit lines get used in literary braille (because they cause the nubmer
sign to be
output).

My first attempt to fix this is to replace the digit lines with litdigit.
Translating Test 123. now gives:
_test abc.
Missing number sign, despite litidigts being defined.
Backtranslation is correct:
Test abc.
(For the input).
Doing just a back translation of what would have been the correct output from
forward translation:
_test #abc.
correctly becomes
Test 123.

What works, and what seems to be used for some other tables, is to
replace digits6Dots.uti with digits8Dots.uti and then add
the litdigit opcodes for the six dot digits.

So it seems to me like both digit and litdigit is required to make nubmers
work properly in literary braille, even if the literary braille table
doesn't provide any other computer braille opcodes.
I don't know if that behaviour is intentional.

I could send a patch to fix the Swedish table if you think this fix is
correct.  IN addition, as I said in my previous mail, it looks like many other
tables have the same bug, it looks like including include digits6Dots.uti
doesn't have the effect that the authors intended.
I don't know the braille of all those languages, but having conflicting
letters and digits in back translation doesn't seem right to me.
So, should we attempt to fix this globally instead of a one-off for the
Swedish table?

Thanks,
//Peter