[liblouis-liblouisxml] UEB English (Grade 1) translation - spurious grade 1/letter indicators?

  • From: Anthony Tibbs <anthony@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:49:37 -0400

Good day folks,

I'm new to the LibLouis world, but have a need to integrate braille
translation into a project. Years ago when I first put this together I
hacked together a translation engine that farmed the work out to
'nfbtrans' but this time around I thought I'd look for something a
little more sophisticated, leading me to liblouis.

Using the en-ueb-g1.ctb table, I've run into some test failures because
it seems that unnecessary grade 1 indicators are being inserted prior to
single letters, e.g. "This is a test" becomes ",this is ;a test".

In that particular case, the grade 2 table gets it right -- but the
grade 2 table fails for letters "I" and "O", which also get grade 1
indicators. A, I, and O have no associated alphabetic wordsign and so
do not require a grade 1 indicator: see UEB Rules 2013, ss. 5.2.1 and
10.1.

The question becomes:

- have I done something wrong usage-wise, such that this OUGHT to work?
- if not, is this a known issue and something that (for now at least) I
just have to post-process to work around?
- if not, should I be opening an issue on Github, or is there some other
process?

Thanks,
Anthony Tibbs
project pages go to http://liblouis.org