[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Supporting UTF-8 in opcode character argument

  • From: "Vic Beckley" <vic.beckley3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 13:11:43 -0400

What is BOM?

Best regards from Ohio, U.S.A.,

Vic

E-mail: vic.beckley3@xxxxxxxxx

From: liblouis-liblouisxml-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:liblouis-liblouisxml-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Neil Soiffer
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 12:51 PM
To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Supporting UTF-8 in opcode character
argument

NVDA translators and developers use nvda and notepad plus plus really quite
successfully.
There is an encoding option in the file menu, from which utf8 without bom
can be selected.
I dont know if sighted people will see all the characters on the screen, we
are all blind. It might be a question of what fonts you have
installed/selected.

I am sighted and use Notepad++ and UTF8 encoding all of the time.  If the
font being used has the char in it, Notepad++ will display it.  Otherwise,
it displays an empty box.  The character is still there though.

We (Design Science) decided to use UTF8 with BOM because most UTF8-aware
editors will see that char and automatically use UTF8 for the encoding.
Without the BOM, most editors assume ASCII and that can result in messed up
files if you edit them.  Unfortunately, not all UTF8 aware editors deal with
the BOM correctly, but we felt the risk of damaging the files was much
smaller if we used the BOM.

My 2¢,

     Neil