[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Question regarding liblouis/liblouisxml handling of non-MathML math

  • From: Chris von See <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:31:01 -0700

I'm not a braille expert, but I was hoping that it would be possible to tell liblouisxml (via the command line, preferably) that the input file contained Nemeth code so that liblouisxml could tell liblouis to translate it as such. Is that not possible?

Thanks
Chris

On Aug 15, 2008, at 5:06 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
Chris,

I see you are already on the list. Processing books that use math but
not MathML poses difficulties, since the equations are not well- defined. It is difficult to know where the mathematical material begins and ends.
Please send me such a file so I can examine it.

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 04:36:56PM -0700, Chris von See wrote:
Hi all -

I'm processing files that can potentially contain math which is not
in MathML format - equations such as:

are for superscripts.  Do any of you liblouis/liblouisxml users
attempt to convert this material to Nemeth code or do you just leave
it in literary code?  If you do attempt to convert to Nemeth, do you
try to do any math detection yourself so that you can tell liblouis
to use Nemeth to translate the file?

Thanks
Chris von See

John J. Boyer, Executive Director