[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Question over version appended to windows DLL

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:56:31 +0200

On 09/22/2014 07:22 PM, Bert Frees wrote:
Let's hear what Christian thinks about it.

Sorry I wasn't following the discussion. There is a chapter in the libtool manual about why versioning (aka the -2 suffix) is beneficial (http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Versioning.html#Versioning). There is a discussion way back in the archives about library versioning on windows and how this affects how the Python bindings find the library. I think Jamie has a strong opinion about this.

I have no preference for either solution on windows as long as *nix still use normal library versioning.

So please check with Jamie on the rationale behind this.