[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Python bindings for liblouisxml

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:34:14 +0000

On 25/11/09 16:19, Christian Egli wrote:
On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 09:47 -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
I'll let others discuss various versioning systems if they want to.
Hehe. Good answer. While I have come to prefer git over any other
version control system I think that svn and the associated Google Code
site works quite well for us. We have enough other problems to deal with
that we do not need to change our version control system. I for one
would already be very happy if we had more uptodate build tools :-)
Yes VCS is probably low on what should be attended to as more important things
need doing. I can think of other things I would alter but I probably should try
and not let my oppinion drive what I call for, let the need drive it. As an
example I have my view about using ctypes for the liblouis python bindings,
ctypes is fine for a quick try of something but not so good for the long term
(eg. ctypes is unable to tell whether liblouis uses ucs2 or ucs4 for widechar
and so relies on python and liblouis being matched, cython can tell this,
admittedly only at compile time). I don't intend to redo the liblouis bindings
unless anyone has a need for it (eg. for the liblouis bindings to be complete
and include back translation or find the possibility of mismatch of python and
liblouis unicode sizes being a problem).

Michael Whapples