[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Python bindings for liblouisxml

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:11:10 +0000

I forgot to ask, any implications with the licensing as I use artistic 2.0 license? I am sure it is compatible, I just mean whether you really want everything in liblouisxml all under one license.

Michael Whapples
On 25/11/09 14:02, Michael Whapples wrote:
John,
I am fine with inclusion in liblouisxml. I personally have views on svn, distributed version control systems (dvcs) I feel are much better, I personally head to using mercurial although I am sure once you are used to it git is just as good. At the moment I haven't got my python bindings in any VCS (tut, tut) so it really wouldn't be hard for it to be added to SVN (IE. you won't be loosing history data). May be I should just get over my problems with SVN, although I would hope that you might consider sometime moving to a DVCS.

Michael Whapples
On 25/11/09 13:47, John J. Boyer wrote:
Michael,

I would like to include your python bindings for liblouisxml in the next
release. As you know, we use svn. liblouis already has a python branch
off of trunk. We could do something similar with liblouisxml.

John

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:35:39PM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
Just a quick note to say that I have just released a set of python
bindings for liblouisxml. The source code can be downloaded from the
python package index http://pypi.python.org/pypi/louisxml. I think I
have covered everything in the liblouisxml API, but just as I released
it I noticed I had actually been working with an earlier version of
liblouisxml, but I have recompiled it on my system with the latest
debian package (well my system reports it as 2.0.0-2) and it seems to
work on my system (just a quick look). Have there been any changes to
the API when moving to 2.0.0?

I have released the code under the artistic 2.0 license, I think that
will do what I want and not restrict those who wish to import it into
their python apps.

The bindings are written using cython, but I have supplied the C code
generated by cython, so you shouldn't need to install cython to install
them. Also I have made use of PyICU to convert from the widechar to
unicode when the user is working with python 2.5 or below, so if you are
using python 2.5 or below please install PyICU. If you are using python
2.6 or higher (including python3) then you don't need anything other
than python.

Note on python3 use: While the code will run on python3, I initially
wrote it for python2.x so at the moment you may need to do some unusual
things to get it to work properly (eg. where you give the translation
table you will need to use bytes rather than string). I hope to improve
the python3 support soon.

I would welcome any comments people may have.

Thanks

Michael Whapples