[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: LoadLibrary and ABI

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 00:17:09 +0100

On 27/06/09 23:01, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Michael Whapples, le Sat 27 Jun 2009 22:51:26 +0100, a écrit :
My thoughts on the API version stuff, can't we just use the output from
the lou_version function to determine whether the bindings and library
match?
And if they don't, do what? How to guess how the proper version is
called to manage to load it?

I guess I am thinking of this in a very different way or a slightly different point. My idea was that we believe we should have the correct version, but due to no actual linking at compile time the two seem so much more unrelated and so possibly separately distributeable that how can you really be sure that what you believe you have is what you want? My thought is one last check of version numbers. If after all our best attempts to get the correct version (through what ever ways should be tried) reveal no version of our desired version then we could raise a suitable exception. I guess I am thinking, ctypes is doing all its stuff at runtime, therefore we should confirm things at runtime.

Just loading the proper version should always work.

This relies on us guaranteeing we know what version we have before we load it.

Samuel